November 19, 2013

Kyoto Photo Diary Part 1, February 2013

The old capital and former seat of the Imperial Palace; Kyoto is the heart of traditional Japan. From Nijo Castle, Kinkakuji Temple and the Geisha-strewn streets of Gion in the old Quarter, Kyoto is filled with ancient relics and traditions that pre-date the Tokugawa Period. So don your kimono and step into the Japan of old.
Citadines is managed by The Ascott. We chose this hotel because we have been Ascott patrons since 2007. With Ascott, we know that we're in good hands every time we travel. Also, the Citadines is a 10 minute walk away from Gion and 2 minutes away from the train station. Talk about strategic location. 
Two of the best restaurants in town were right beside our hotel!

 Authentic Japanese food is actually really oily.
 Gion at night.
 A tea house right out of the pages of Memoirs of A Geisha.





Kinkakuji Temple is covered in gold leaf. I asked Mark as to why monks would have a whole temple covered in gold. Mark answered me by asking why the Vatican has a lot of gold. Apparently, gold was used to purify any negative thoughts, but I think I would rather pray in a quiet little corner, somewhere nice and peaceful rather than inside a gold box. Anyway, the structure is still magnificent when you see it up close and the gardens are beautiful, so there.






Mark and I just disembarked from our taxi and look what we saw, a real-life geisha in her element with a business client in Gion-the place where Memoirs of a Geisha was set in the book!!! I was too busy taking pictures of the old tea houses that I didn't see her pass by so Mark quietly called my attention and when I saw the geisha, I got too excited that I turned on my flash and took this photo. 

Needless to say, she got annoyed and gave me the stare. I must say, geishas are like unicorns in Kyoto. They're so mysterious and beautiful! We were so lucky to snap a photo of her while working!
-----

I will be uploading another Kyoto Photo Diary soon.
I know it's been several months since we went to Japan.
I'll try to upload more photos in the future.
For now, I hope you enjoyed this little time travel.

Questions? Talk to me here: Millie's Ask.FM
x
Millie

❋ Follow and Subscribe 
Mark's Facebook   Twitter | Millie's Facebook  Twitter Tumblr  Youtube

Listening to: Ike's Rap 2 bv Isaac Hayes
Loving: Sebastian Michaelis
Watching: Kuroshitsuji Scanlation

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...