April 15, 2013

Margie's Graduation Make-Up

Graduation is the quintessential rite of passage. Ceremonious, traditional and communal; the event demands grace, poise and a particular sort of youthful elegance. I was so proud of my sister, Margie when she graduated Magna Cum Laude with a Bachelor of Fine Art (Visual Communication) at UP. It was her rite of passage and her golden moment. My job was to make sure she looked perfect for the occasion.



Margie is naturally morena, an inherited trait from my father’s side. Half the children are morena, the other half of fairer complexion. My sister was of the former and I, of the latter. We’ve both embraced our complexions and have never tried to whiten or alter them. However, this means different techniques to rock our different complexions.

BEFORE AND AFTER 
(Sorry sister, it's the only picture I have of you before doing your make-up) 

With an oval face and high cheekbones (another family trait), my sister’s morena skin tone suits her well. I began with Make Up For Ever’s HD Foundation in a darker tone, Make Up  For Ever concealer palette and MAC Powder to set the foundation. For her eyebrows, I used Etude House’s Eyebrow Kit to define clean, elegant frames for eyes. Margie wore blue contact lens, so I started with gold eye shadow from Coastal Scents to make those baby blues pop. Payne’s Grey and Metallic slate-blue was used along the darker areas of her eyes to contour them. The combination provided a complexity and an edgy elegance - whether she was staring at you or batting her eyelids. Finally, I used MAC’s Waterproof Eyeliner, just in case the tears of joy leaked out.


As graduations are a mark of youth, I applied MAC’s ever-so pink ‘Watch me Simmer’ to balance her blue eyes. This complemented her golden-dark skin tone and black hair, giving her an exotic, polished look.
It wasn’t over the top, with none of the excessive amounts of blush that plague graduations. All you have to do is play to the strengths of your skin color and the eye and lip make-up will do all the talking and exemplify your high points.
Margie and Lola
Our proud, happy family of scholars :)
x
Millie
❋ Follow and Subscribe 
Mark's Facebook   Twitter | Millie's Facebook  Twitter Tumblr  Youtube


Listening to: Yayo by Lana Del Rey
       Loving: Game of Thrones!
            =(: outrageous hospital bill

1 comment:

  1. This is my first time visit at here
    and i am really happy to read all at one place.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...