April 01, 2012

Artist Feature: JC Cantos, Celebrity Make Up Artist

JC CANTOS: Celebrity Make Up Artist

Richard Gutierrez is JC's top client as of today








Fretzie of PBB Teen Clash



Ms. Stefany Marisa Prescott


Yen Santos is JC's regular celeb client who has trusted her beauty in the hands of our MUA.


                            
JC also does pre-nup hair and make up
                                                    

and of course, beautiful hair and make up for weddings. The gorgeous Camille Magsadia as the bride.
                                      
JC also does fantasy and period make-up. She did my hair and make up in this shoot Queen of Leaves

A Period piece: JC also did my hair and make up here in our shoot Sunrise Comes Too Soon

Hair and Make Up by JC Cantos
Models Millie Morales and Mark Orosa


JC doing my make up inside my room :)
I met JC in one of my classes in UPLB and we've surprisingly gotten along and kept in touch for years now. She was a BS Human Ecology graduate but decided to re-route her life to become a make-up artist. It was a very big leap from her course and career path but she was glad she made that jump. Today, she's one of the most talented Hair and Make Up artists of the country having celebrities as clients. If you want to quit your stressful, unfulfilling job and pursue your dreams, let this interview inspire you. 

Full name: Julie Christie T. Cantos 
Nickname: JC
Age: 26
Occupation: freelance hair and make-up artist
Company: GMA network (talent-HMUA)
Clients: Richard Gutierrez, Yen Santos, Yassi Pressman, Dominic Ochoa, Aubrey Miles, Troy Montero, KC Montero, Stef Prescott, Maey Bautista, Betong Sumaya, Geneva Cruz, Sam Concepcion, Enique Gil, Devon Serron,, Heidi Riego, Linn Oeymo, Yayo Aguila, Maribeth Bichara, Mara Lopez Yokohama, Gino dela Pena, Arthur Solinap, Carlo Gonzalez, Isabel Granada, Krissy Villongco, Ericka Villongco, Ivan Dorschner, James Reid, Kiko Rustia and Doc Nielsen Donato of Born to be Wild, Jackie Forster, Christian Bautista

website: https://www.facebook.com/makeupbyjccantos
             https://www.facebook.com/dolledupbyjccantos
                   

1. Tell us about your typical day at work.
My day is very unpredictable. My schedule's erratic.
Since I'm a freelancer, I'm "on-call". Yes, like a doctor  I would sometimes wake up to a text message (8:30 a.m.) from a client asking me if I can go to her house on that same day (12:00 noon). So the next thing I know, I'm hurrying to take a bath because I would still have to fix my make up tools and the products that I have to bring. I live in San Pedro Laguna so I have to leave our house by 10:00 a.m. to be in Trinoma before 12 noon. (The client's house is 10 minutes away from Trinoma.)

2. How did you start your career in the world of beauty?
After I graduated, I first worked in Haribon Foundation (NGO) for 6 months, trying to have a feel of what a Human Ecology graduate is like. I knew then that I want to study make-up and so I decided to work in a call center to be able to save money to support my self in school. After I finished taking up basic make-up artistry, a good friend  placed a lot of faith in me and hired me to do the make-up of his uncle's bride. Most of my "brides" are my friends or a friend's friend or relative and from there, my network became wider/bigger.

3. As a celebrity makeup artist, are there any other celebrities whom you would still like to work with that you haven't as of yet?
Yes! A whole lot! Like Gretchen Barretto, Angel Aquino, Anne Curtis, Georgina Wilson, Solenn Heusaff, etc.!

4. Describe your signature look and what is it about your style that sets you apart from other makeup artists?
I'm very particular with the eyes; for me, the eyes make the whole make-up look attractive and captivating. I keep the whole client's features clean and their faces flawless along with my tools and products and the workstation.
My style includes proper attitude and work ethics. I am punctual and I am professional not just to the client but also to the people I work with.

5. What is the most memorable moment you have had while doing a celebrity's makeup?
A celebrity told me that he likes my attitude. He told me he finds me professional and kind. He told me he has observed that in the set, I don't choose the celebrity I would doll up. I don't mind putting on make-up to men, which would not really showcase my talent and skills in terms of playing with different colors and shades of eye shadow, rouge and lipstick. As part of a team responsible for dolling up 12 celebrities, what's important is to make sure everyone has make-up on instead of choosing which person you like to put make-up on.

6. Important beauty advice for women?
I'm sure we've all heard of this. CTM! (cleanse, tone, moisturize) We should ALWAYS keep our face clean. May it be before putting on make-up or after rockin' your make-up on TV or an event. Being too tired or drunk is not an excuse not to remove your make-up and wash your face. After all, if we have good skin, just a little make-up would do the trick.

7. What do you think are the common beauty mistakes that women make?
Not choosing the appropriate shade of foundation, it's usually whiter or darker than their complexion. I'm bothered whenever I see women with very thick/thin eyebrows. We should use eyebrow pencil on our eyebrows instead of eyeliner. 


8. Do you feel that looking and feeling beautiful is important in regard to a woman's confidence and self-esteem?
Yes because if we look and feel beautiful it creates a positive aura. Smiling helps a lot.

9. Do you feel that you have achieved all of your goals as a successful makeup artist?
Not yet. I'm still far from that. I still need to practice and learn more. My goals include having the opportunity to do a magazine cover. I also want to study abroad to know the trend outside the country and to experience dolling up people from other nations.

10. Who are some people that have inspired you throughout your career?
I admire Ms. Nina Dumpa. Her works are impeccable. I haven't personally met her yet but Pearl (owner of Dollface Cosmetics) told me, after hearing my story, that I'm like Ms. Dumpa who used to be financially unstable but did not consider that as a hindrance to achieve her goals and dreams. She has now been to USA and France and have attended a number of make-up classes. She also has her own make-up school now 

11. Do you see yourself someday creating your own line of makeup?
Hmm that hasn't entered my mind yet. 

12. Favorite products in your makeup kit?
Kryolan concealer wheel and dermacolor foundation, Urban Decay Primer Potion eye primer, MAC Colour 4 Eyeshadow Quad, Clinique Blushing Blush Powder Blush #107 Sunset Glow, Avon Simply Pretty Lip&Cheek Tint, L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara, Dollface gel liner, Clinique lipstick (gilded pink), etc.

13. What's your favorite concealer of all time?
Kryolan concealer wheel

14. What products do you think should be a staple in every woman's purse? 
concealer, foundation, pressed/loose powder, eyebrow pencil, eye liner, mascara, blush, lipstick

15. Do you believe that sometimes less is more?
Yes 

16. What tips can you give to young women who want to start preparing their skin in advance for a special event like prom?
-CTMS (Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize, apply Sunscreen) everyday
-avoid touching your face as much as possible
-eat fruits and vegetables
-avoid eating oily and salty food
-drink lots of water
-have enough sleep

17. What message do you have for teens out there aspiring to grow up to be successful women?
Being successful could mean different things. You can be successful once you have your sibling/s graduate from college. You can also feel successful when you are able to support your kid/s. You are also successful when you're able to follow your heart's desire.
Know your priority AT THE MOMENT-- earn and save money or be fulfilled and happy? Having both of that, money and self-fulfillment is a rare case. You would deeply understand what I mean by that once you're already in the work field. If you have a sibling or a child to support, then you probably need to set aside your passion AT THE MOMENT. 
As of now, the fact that I get to do what I love and what I am passionate about with the bonus of earning from it has been making me feel successful.

All pictures are from JC's website https://www.facebook.com/makeupbyjccantos and https://www.facebook.com/dolledupbyjccantos/photos

❋ Follow and Subscribe 
Mark's Facebook   Twitter | Millie's Facebook  Twitter Tumblr  Youtube


Listening to : Sunrise Comes Too Soon by Late Night Alumni
             <3: JC  
            =( : cold

4 comments:

  1. Nice feature you got here. Good job, JC! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this Millie! It's gives me a sense of what's to come!!! :D God bless JC!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...