June 11, 2011

My 15-Minute Office Make Up Tutorial


So I'm at this point in my life where I have to trudge the corporate world to earn some moolah for love and well, for my future. Gone are the carefree uber thick cat-eye eyeliner days, super bleached hair, denim shorts and boots. I have to be subdued and formal in my heels and corporate ensemble. I'm assuming some of my readers or future ones would find this tutorial beneficial since I, myself have sought  for office make-up tutorials on the internet before starting my job. I hope this 15-minute office make up tutorial helps. By the way, the time on which you spend doing this make up depends on how fast you blend. Mine took 20 minutes before because I couldn't get the eyeshadow blending right so practice is key. Enjoy!

My everyday office make up kit. From left to right: Celeteque Moisturizer, Etude Eye Primer, Revlon PhotoReady foundation, Maybelline concealer, Coastal Scents 28 Neutral palette, eyelash curler, Face Shop's eyebrow pencil, Nichido eyeliner, Maybelline neutral face powder, Revlon coral lipstick. Eye and lipstick shades vary, depending on the weather and my mood.

1. First moisturize your face. Sometimes I use Garnier moisturizer with sunblock esp during summer. Moisturizing is really important because my office can get extremely cold and dries my skin. If you're picky, you can use primer to even out skin tone. I like moisturizer because it's very light.

2.  Apply foundation but not too much. I only use foundation to cover my freckles. I only apply it on my T zone : forehead,  nose, under my eyes and chin. I don't apply it all over my face, just some areas that need it. Foundation is used to even out skin tone. Choosing the right foundation that matches your skin tone is extremely important. The key is finding the right color and not trying hard to change yours. For example, I see a lot of girls wearing foundation that's too light for their skin which makes their faces produce a ghostly effect. Ask for help if you can't find your shade. Figure out whether you are WARM or COOL toned. 
Look at your veins, if your veins are slightly greenish, you have  a WARM skin tone; bluish and you have a COOL skin tone. Colors good for warm skin tone (morenas, tans, pinay/asian skin)   has a bit of orange-ish tint to them like gold, camel, sunkissed while colors for cool skin tone ( usually caucasian, white etc) include rosy pinkish, bluish tint.
3. I know some people put concealer first but I got this habit from make-up school. I only put concealer under my eyes  to hide my dark circles and open my peepers more. Concealer is used to hide imperfections like pimples and blemishes.  I only use concealer when I retouch and I do retouch a lot because I'm acidic meaning my make-up wears off super fast.

3. Set everything with loose powder or in my case pressed powder so the liquid foundation and concealer won't slip and slide off your face.  Your face should not be sticky and should be smooth to touch.

4. Put eye primer. I'm using Etude's eye primer. It acts as a "glue" or base for your eyeshadow  so the color pops out more, can be blended well and stays longer.

5. I'm using Coastal Scents 28 color neutral palette but you can use any neutral palette. I use earth tones because we really can't use loud colors in the office. Neutral/earth tones are best for corporate make up. I use a dark brown to accentuate the hollows of my eyes and wing it out to lift my eyelids as you can see in the picture. It creates a cat-eye effect and gives you an instant face-lift. Don't use colors that are too dark because the fluorescent lights cast dark shadows on your face. 

6. Now get a light/shimmery color to accentuate the lids. Apply it at the inner corner of your eyes, sweeping it until the end as you can see in the picture. This is done to open up the eyes more so you are basically contouring the eyes, making it appear larger and brighter. Then blend blend blend! I haven't blended this one so you can see the shape and the contrast of the colors.

7. Apply a thin layer of eyeliner. It can be dark brown or black. I love black liner and it looks as if it is thick but I do that because when I open my eyes, my lids overpower the line so I had to put more. Everyone knows that I've been sporting cat-eye liner style akin to Brigitte Bardot since forever. I feel naked without my eyeliner. Black liner on top of your eyes opens them up but  if you combine it with black liner under the eyes, it closes them. The lighting here is too bright so you can't see my eyeshadow much.

8. Groom your eyebrows. I use Face Shop's Lovely eyebrow pencil. Best eyebrow pencil ever!! Brush the hair to keep it in place and smudge the color evenly. Grooming your brows is extremely important because they frame your face. They either make or break your look sometimes. Must groom brows!

9. Curl your lashes, apply mascara. I use Covergirl Lashblast fushion. Really good!
10. Apply a nude or coral lip color.  Red is also acceptable as long as you keep your whole face light or with minimal make up. General rule: strong eyes-nude lip, strong lips-nude eyes but I tend to bend this a lot of times. When choosing a lip color and blush, make sure it goes well with your skin tone.  Apply  lip gloss if you want.

11. Smile and apply blush at the apples of your cheeks and voila! finished product. You should have an even complexion, clean, glowing and contoured. Simplicity is key to office make up. You have to look well-rested and professional.

I hope this tutorial helped a bit. Have a great day!
x
Millie



❋ Follow and Subscribe 
Mark's Facebook   Twitter | Millie's Facebook  Twitter Tumblr  Youtube

Listening to : Angels and Angles by Late Night Alumni
              <3: make up
              =( : rainy weather

3 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...